“Congratulations, you are pregnant!” Right from the day you hear these words, you begin to think about you and your baby’s well-being and to provide a nurturing and healthy environment for the baby’s growth, and for that you should know what pregnancy massage therapy can do for you.
In Ayurveda, “abhaynga” holds a special place when it comes to taking care of your health. With pregnancy come many anatomical and physiological changes that require attention. Abhyanga is a wonderful way to nurture yourself and your baby and get the much-needed tender love and care.
Pregnancy Massage Therapy Procedure:-
The pregnancy massage therapy is modified abhyangam therapy where the pregnant lady is positioned comfortably on her side using cushions and bolsters as support. Lying on the back or belly side is not comfortable nor recommended.
Then the most suitable, individually customised oil blends are selected based on the season, the individual body constitution and other complaints that the lady may have. The oil is warmed and applied using light pressure. Gentle, long strides are used on the limbs and circular motion on the joints to massage the body by trained therapists. Rigorous, deep-tissue massage is best avoided during pregnancy.
Post the procedure, a warm water bath is recommended.
When should pregnancy massage therapy be avoided?
- During the first trimester, the lady may experience dizziness, morning sickness, and nausea.
- If there is a potential risk of miscarriage or a history of one.
- If the lady has been advised bed rest or has a high-risk pregnancy.
- Improves sleep– Many pregnant women experience temporary insomnia owing to pregnancy hormones. Abhyangam is known to improve sleep as it stimulates the secretion of serotonin and melatonin and also relaxes the whole body.
- Reduces stress and anxiety- With pregnancy comes a new set of worries. Prenatal care also includes a reduction in the anxiety of the mother. High cortisol levels are to be brought under control during pregnancy. Abhyangam reduces the stress levels in both the mother and the baby and brings in a sense of calmness.
- Reduces pain and swelling- The body changes during pregnancy bring with it body aches and swelling in the legs. Abhyangam improves blood circulation to joints and helps in the reduction of pain and swelling.
- Gets rid of tiredness- It helps provide relaxation to the muscles, instills a sense of calmness and leaves the woman feeling light and fresh.
- Nourishes the body- Provides sturdiness, and builds strength in joints and muscles. It promotes longevity as well.
Your healthcare provider will assess your condition and suggest different oil blends and pregnancy-safe abhyangam techniques to help you enjoy your pregnancy. Do talk to them about pregnancy massage therapy, or you can visit a reputed Ayurveda Retreat Center for a quality experience.